As this blog is called Celery and Cupcakes it would be rude not to post a cupcake recipe. By no means are these healthy, but after weeks of work, exercise, vegetable and low cal overdose I think a treat is long over due.
- 200g of sugar
- 170g of low fat spread or butter alternative
- 3 eggs
- 210g of plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of pure almond extract
- 120 ml of semi-skimmed milk
- 180g of unsweetened dessicated coconut
- 1/4 tsp of salt
For the icing:
- 250g of light soft cream cheese
- 150g of low fat spread or butter alternative
- 100g of icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of pure almond extract
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3 around 160 degrees
1) Cream the low fat spread and sugar together for a minimun of 5 minutes, until it is light in color and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one and the vanilla and almond extracts, make sure everything is well mixed.
2) In another sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt. I always sift my dry ingredients atleast 6 times to ensure a light sponge. Fold in the the dry ingredients and the milk alternately in 3 parts. Folding in the flour will ensure that the gluten does not stretch, which usually results in a heavier sponge. Add the coconut.
3) Transfer the batter into muffin pans lined with paper cases. Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
4) To make the icing simply mix together the cream cheese, vanilla and almond extracts, butter and icing sugar until smooth.
These are the ultimate treat…please don’t devour them all to yourself!
What is your favourite indulgent treat?