Sunday Catch Up: New eats!

by Jemma Andrew-Adiamah on February 12, 2012

in EATS!

Hello lovely readers!  I hope you have all had an amazing weekend.  Although I have spent the whole weekend working it has been a pretty good one for me.  I’ve spent my down time just relaxing and chilling out with my lovely hubby to be.

I also want to say a huge thank you to Sarah over at Welsh Girl Eats for her fab guest post. If you haven’t seen it yet then please check it out!  There are some great tips for eating healthy when you are busy bee, which is something that I can relate to right now.

This week I decided to just do a 5 day work out week.  My Body Pump class was fully booked on both occasions this week so no awesome weight lifting class for me this week.  I did manage to still get in some great strength workouts though with a modified version of some of the NROLW strength routines.

Monday: 30 minute of speed intervals on the treadmill, bike and step machine, strength workout 1 and 5 minute cool down on the step machine.

Tuesday: 30 minute hill climb on the cross trainer and a 10 minute session of high intensity intervals on the bike followed by 200 ab crunches (8 different exercises of 25 reps each)

Wednesday: 15 minute warm up on the bike, strength workout 2 and 5 minute cool down on the adaptive motion trainer

Thursday: 5K of speed intervals on the treadmill, 10 minutes of intervals on the step machine followed by 200 ab crunches (8 different exercises of 25 reps each)

Friday: Yoga for runner’s and core yoga podcasts from Yogadownload.com

Weekend: Rest

I’ve also been eating some pretty tasty eats this week too. My favourite eats of the week include:

1. Toasted wholemeal sourdough bread topped with raspberry jam and Justin’s dark choc and hazelnut butter

2. Fresh grapes cherries and a chopped banana in rice milk.  Loving my cherries to snack on through the day right now!

3. Kamut pasta spirals with my Basic Tomato Sauce, mushrooms and spinach…yum!

4.  Lemon sponge cake with honeycomb hot chocolate at the Christian Union’s acoustic night.  Such a great atmosphere, great music and great cake! :D

5.  Green smoothie snack of spinach, apple, ginger and cucumber.

6. Sharpham Park Organic Spelt Millers Muesli mixed with Sharpham Park Organic Spelt Berry Puffs with a chopped banana, rice milk and white chocolate wonderful…delish!

7.  Baked salmon on top of Clearspring soba noodles with stir fried mange tout, baby corn, mushrooms and red peppers in a sauce made using soy sauce, rice vinegar and ginger.

8.  A salad made using kale massaged with avocado and lemon juice with tomatoes, barrel aged feta cheese, peppers, cucumber and the addition of hummus.

9.  Snack plate of a chopped pink lady apple, a pear, Justin’s nut chocolate and hazel nut butter and St. Dalfour black cherry jam for dipping along with some dried berries and cajun spiced beans.

It has been such a great week of eats that I cannot wait to see what next week brings! Is it strange that I get so excited about food? I don’t care cos’ I love to eat and really enjoying fresh, wholesome and nutrition food right now with the odd treat thrown in.  I have a post coming up soon about my current eating habits and current thoughts on my diet so watch this space.

Whilst doing the grocery shop on Friday night after work I picked up some new goodies to try out that caught my eye as I was bull-dozing my way through the aisles with my shopping trolley…

I’ve been snacking on these dried berries and cherries and cajun style beans at work all weekend. I’m totally addicted to them already.  The beans come in other flavours too which I a definitely going to buy on my next grocery shop…love them!

I saw some of you tweeting about the new Alpro Almond milk last week so I knew that I had to hunt it down.  Also, standing right on the shelf next to it was the brand new Kara Coconut chocolate and calcium milk.  I just to had to have that too!  I cannot wait to try these and see how they compare to the original versions of milk from the same brand.

I get so excited about new foods to try.  I’m current browsing those iHerb aisles again and eyeing up some raw crackers and kelp noodles at the moment.  I’m just one click away fromm foodie heaven!

Have you found any delicious new foods to try recently?

When you do find new foods to try do you have to buy it there and then or can it wait till next time?  I’m absolutely hopeless with this one!

Nicky@kabochafashionista February 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Such a great week full of yummy eats!! :) I loveeee Justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter! <3 Ooooh my new addiction is also a Nibl product but it's the edamame beans! They are SO GOOD!! Also the new Alpro hazelnut milk is lovely!! I have also fallen in love with the new Gourmet Raw Crisps. Sooo yeah, you could say I've been trying a fair few new things and adding them to my addiction list hehe!

Jenny Bridger February 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Where did you find the Alpro? I too have been hunting it & have tried my local sainsburys & 2 branches of Tescos with no luck :(

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Hey Jenny! I found it in the really massive Tesco’s near my work place. x

Jenny Bridger February 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Thanks. There’s a few more tescos i might pass, i’ll keep looking. Might try waitrose tomorrow when i pass too.

Maria February 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I saw the chocolate Kara stuff too when I bought the Alpro almond milk, but I decided that I would just add in nesquick/ hot chocolate stuff if I wanted it to be choc flavoured, and it would not go on cereal or anything. But always good to try something new.

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! February 13, 2012 at 9:15 AM

You’re definitely no tthe only one who gets super excited about food! When I see I new food I usually have to buy it then and there – but right now I’m on a pretty tight budget, so I have to restrain myself from things I dont need. However, a chocolate bar almost always makes its way onto my list of things I ‘need’.

Laura@keepinghealthygettingstylish February 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I saw that alpro soya almond milk but haven’t seen the chocolate kara, I will be on the look out for that for sure! I definitely get excited for food, meal planning for the week is one of my fave things!

lucie February 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Wow, I HAVE to try this alpro! Amazingness….your certainly not the only one that gets excited about food, Im always getting excited over new salad combinations and things I buy and make!

Love Live & Learn February 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Sounds like a great week of workouts! Your food looks tasty too, especially your Kamut pasta spirals with tomato sauce, mushrooms and spinach :-) Where did you find the almond and coconut milk?? I’ve been wanting to try almond milk for ages!

LilyLipstick February 14, 2012 at 7:26 AM

I need to try that Alpro almond milk! x

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 14, 2012 at 9:05 AM

It’s next in line in my fridge!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 14, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I found them in the big Tesco’s near my work place! :D

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 14, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I’m glad that I’m not the only one! :d

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 14, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I haven’t tried either yet so not sure what they are like. I wil let you know once I do! :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 14, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Hahaha! I love how chocolate is a neccessity! :D

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 14, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I just had to have the Kara milk too, it sounds fab! :D

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 14, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I got some choco covered edamame beans in the states that I just love. I will be on the hunt for those Gourmet Raw Crisps- they sound fab!:D

Sarah February 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Thanks for having me :)

Oh my gosh, all your food sounds too good.

I was SOOO excited when I saw (and promptly bought) the alpro almond milk in Tesco the other day. I haven’t tried it yet tho. Sounds weird but I feel rather nervous about not liking it (i’m wedded to ecomil’s stupidly expensive but sans sugar almond milk).

daisychain February 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I need those cajun style beans in my life!

Doris @ vanillacocoberry February 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

BOHOOOOO I live in Austria and even though apparently the alpro almond milk is already being sold in Germany, it’s nowhere to be found in Vienna :( I am so bummed, I am so excited for the day they will finally sell a decent almond milk brand over here.

Jenny Bridger February 19, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I’ve found it – it was the last one on the shelf in tescos this week. i think they have just been flying off the shelves which is why i haven’t seen it. Tried the almond tonight in a chia pudding. love the taste!

Also found the Hazelnut in waitrose per chance today, so for £1 had to buy it!! Can’t wait to try that too :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I need to get my hands on the hazelnut one! :D