WIAW: Sunshine cravings

by Jemma Andrew-Adiamah on March 28, 2012

in EATS!, WIAW

The weather has been so gorgeous of late in the UK, apart of me keeps forgetting that it is only March and not summer.  We have definitely taken the right week off work and have been making the most of this amazing weather.

Peas and Crayons

I hope you all are having a great week so far.  It’s Wednesday already which means it’s time for some mega WIAW action.

IMG_1955[1]

Beautiful Stratford-Upon-Avon

As well as exploring beautiful towns this week it has also been great relinquishing some of my summer garbs too:

IMG_1964[1]

OOTD: Floral vest, Forever 21, flared jeans, Warehouse, wedges, Sole, owl necklace, Accesorize

Like always when the weather is sunny my eating habits totally change.  On Monday and after my birthday indulgences I jumped straight on board with the Green Smoothie Challenge.  I have had one every day this week and have really been loving them.

IMG_1962[1]

Yesterday’s smoothie included a banana, pear, chocolate hemp protein powder, frozen berries, spinach, milk thistle, camu camu berry powder, rice milk and water…too good!

You can read my previous Green Smoothie Challenge round up here, which is full of tasty green smoothie recipes.  There will be another round up of this weeks smoothies coming your way too.

For lunches this week I have been craving humungous salads of all varieties especially those involving lots of whole grains, fresh fruit, seeds, leafy greens and dried fruit with a delicious dressing or just topped with hummus.

Mixed leaves, Curried Quinoa with Cashews and Sultanas, red pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, roasted chick peas and hummus.

IMG_1965[1]

Yesterday for my afternoon snack I made yoghurt mess of fresh fruit including strawberries, a banana, frozen cherries and soya yoghurt…yum!

Since we were celebrating out 7 year anniversary yesterday we decided to celebrate with a meal at our favourite restaurant.  Although when we got there we realised that the name of the restaurant had changed and it was under new management.  Nothing really caught our eye on the menu, but the dishes did all sound delicious all the same.

IMG_1963[1]

Instead we ordered a huge seafood share board, a sundried tomato, mozzarella and rocket salad with a balsamic glaze, hand cut chips and some roasted prawns that were coated in this amazing sauce.  Everything tasted so good and we love tapas and having little bits of everything so this was just perfect.

I do think it’s funny how your tastes and food cravings can change according to the weather. Smoothies and salads are my thing in the hotter months whereas in the winter I’m all about warm oats, soups and stews.

How do your tastes change from the cold to warmer months?

What is the best thing that you have eaten today?

bananahut March 28, 2012 at 8:39 AM

i read your blog even not from WIAW jenn…love your smoothies!!!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Thank you for taking the time to read it-means a lot! :) x

Lauren (@poweredbypb) March 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I definitely crave salads as the weather gets warmer, I find the heat really kills my appetite, and hate eating warm food during the summer months. When it’s winter and it’s cold in the mornings I crave porridge, and lots of yummy stews and soups to warm up! I’ve just had breakfast, so would say that my oatmeal was the best thing I have had today so far :P

Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) March 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Even though the restaurant had changed, I’m glad you still found good stuff on the menu. The best thing I will eat today will be the roast Brussels sprouts with dinner. I’m already excited. :)

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I’ve never been the type of person who only eats soup in the winter or salad in the summer, but as soon as I start seeing the summer melons show up in the grocery store, all I want is watermelon, honeydew, and anything FRESH and light!

Your salad looks delicious. I’ve recently been trying to throw grains onto my salads and I like the texture they add…and hummus is the best dressing. :)

[Can you believe I've never made a green smoothie?!?!]

Laura Agar Wilson (@keephealthstyle) March 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Yey for the green smoothie challenge! Yours looks delicious. Your salad looks amazing too, sultanas with the quinoa must taste amazing! I have a craving for overnight oats now the weathers better, soon as the challenge is over I’m going to indulge myself!

Alexiasana March 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

i have been having huge salads too lately. its getting warmer and warmer here in austria and already feels like beginning of summer. big salad monster are a must! and green smoothies too of course!

Maria March 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

It has been the perfect salad weather here- I had a nice one with lentils, spinach, butternut squash, purple broccoli, haloumi and balsamic (and maybe some other things- I forget!)- and it was lovely.

Aparna B. March 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Yummmy! It all looks so good. I am craving the sunshine too! I am all about salads as of late. The warmer weather makes me want something cool, fresh and tasty! :)

Sarah(everydaysapicnic) March 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I actually tend to eat similar things year-round, but I’ve been craving lighter food for dinner instead of my usual stews. I have salad for lunch nearly every day anyway!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! March 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

So many gorgeous colors! I find myself craving lots of cold & juicy fruits and veggies now – but on a cross rainy, cold day nothing sounds better than a warm hearty grain bowl!

Tamizn March 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I took this week of too, how lucky are we?! My lunch at Aloka was amazing : )

Love Live & Learn March 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Love your top, you look so pretty and summer-y!

Your yogurt mess looks really tasty but that seafood share board is just AMAZING. I love sundried tomatoes and roasted prawns, and the mozzarella and rocket salad with a balsamic glaze sounds delicious :-) As do the chips, craving those now :-P

PowerCakes™ (@PowerCakes) March 29, 2012 at 2:33 AM

YUM!!!!

Allison @ PickyEatingRD March 29, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I find myself craving “cold” foods when it gets warmer out. I also tend to add more fruit to my meal plan because it tastes so dang good!

LilyLipstick March 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Congratulations on your 7 year anniversary! The smoothie challenge sounds perfect for the amazing weather we’ve been having.

beautyinthebalance March 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I love your picture of Stratford- it’s so beatiful in the sunshine!
My tastes change drastically with the seasons- in winter all I want is warm comforting roasted vegetables and in the summer I love cold, refreshing salads and berries!

Errign March 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I looove cool things when it’s hot outside – cold cereal and salads!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Same here!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Stratford is one pretty town. :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Thank you!!!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Love fresh fruits on the sunny weather!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM

We have been very lucky. The weather has been beautiful! :D

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

It was an amazing meal!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Sounds fab!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I love my salads for lunch too! :D

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I know what you mean! :D

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Sounds perfect! :D

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Salads and green smoothies are my favourites at the moment too.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Overnight oats…yum! I can’t wait to start having those again.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 4:43 PM

What?!?! No green smoothies! You are missing out! :D

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Hehehe! I love sprouts too. I hope it was good!