Shaking things up

Every now and then I like to shake things up where my workouts are concerned to make sure that I am still challenging my body and progressing.  This moment came the other week when I realised that my regular workouts were just not pushing me that little bit further anymore.  It was definitely time to review my workouts and look for something new.

There are always fitness instructors wandering around my gym and for some reason, probably scared of looking like a fool I have never made the most of their presence by asking for their advice.   However, they are pretty great as pinned up on the wall was a series of strength workouts designed for women- five workouts of strength and cardio combined.

I have adapted these workouts and made their structure similar to what I did before and more manageable in terms of my daily routine.

Strength Routine A- upper body

side plank

hold for 1 minute

Strength Routine B- lower body

Exercise

Sets

Reps

Body weight jump squats(warm up)

Dumbbell squats

Clean

Leg Press

Leg extensions

Bike and cross trainer

20 minutes

HIITs

Calf raises

Plank

hold for 1 minute

Russian twists

Leg raises

So far I have really been enjoying these workouts and loving the change.  For weights I have been sticking to lower weights on the first 2 sets and going much heavier for the last set.  I’m also still going to my body pump class as a total body workout which the fitness instructors workout plan also includes, but I just love Body Pump and couldn’t give it up.  The plan also suggests two cardio sessions with ab work at the end, but again I have adapted these workouts to suit myself.

At the moment my workout week looks a little like this:

MONDAY: strength workout A

TUESDAY: 15 minutes of intervals on the bike and 1 hour of Body Pump

WEDNESDAY: rest

THURSDAY:  45 minutes of cardio plus abs and core work

FRIDAY:  strength workout B

WEEKEND: another rest day and a run

I think this routine is very interchangeable and on days when I cannot make it to the gym I will sub in yoga or a workout DVD.

How often do change up your workouts?

Do you make the most of the fitness instructors at your gym?  I think I might pluck up the courage after using their awesome workout in my own routine.

SUBSCRIBE TO RECEIVE FABULOUS & FREE HEALTHY STUFF STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!

* = required field

Comments

1. says

Your routine looks pretty solid. Nice!

I change up my workouts about every six weeks. I keep the same goal in mind, but a little variation keeps me from getting bored. :)

2. says

oh actually i was not to comment on this post, but i saw that u mentioned my comments can also make u smile, so i wanna do that.
    please smile and do more good posts!!!

3. says

Those routines look great, and also follow-able! Nothing worse than a strength training program that may as well be in a foreign language! Mine changes weekly in terms of volume/speed etc but the actual things that I do don’t really change. I am trying to mix it up a bit more though so I don’t get bored!

4. says

Nice routine, and it’s good to have a change! I think I was really stuck in a workout rut over the last 6 months, I haven’t really changed it up much, and it has led to me getting completely burned out! I definitely am looking to change up my routine soon! I never used to make the most of the fitness instructors at the gym, but when I first joined I had 3 free PT sessions there and they were really helpful, and the PT tailored a program (core/strength) workouts to suit running, which was really helpful.

5. says

I definitely do not do enough strength or core workouts, too much cardio! I need to shake things up a bit & add more strength – in the long run (ha), I think it might do me good. Not enough shaking up happens here. THIS will change!

6. says

I’m in the process of changing up my workouts now. Obviously, my body is not a fan of running right now for whatever reason, so I’m gonna make it work with other stuff!

7. says

Your plan looks very clear- I think they all sound quite simple (eg I understand what they all mean!) and it looks easy to follow, although I am sure once you have done it a few times you will remember what you need to do.

Trackbacks