A glass of milk and cookies were such a treat when I was younger.
Nothing has really changed in adulthood either, however I prefer to make my own and make them more healthy than the shop bought versions, by swapping a few simple ingredients. When I visit my family (as I did last weekend) I like to take some baked goodies for them to try. In need to kill my cookie craving and with a family of taste testers to please I went ahead and baked these delicious chocolate chip cookies.
- 2 cups spelt flavour
- 1/3 cup of fruit sugar (or powdered stevia)
- 3/4 cup of margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup dark or milk chocolate chips
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Cream together the margarine and the fruit sugar until fluffy and creamy using an electric whisk or mixer. Add in the egg and orange juice and beat together. Pour in the flour and baking powder and mix in on a low speed until just combined. Next add the chocolate chips and orange zest and stir into the cookie dough until evenly distributed.
- Portion out the cookie dough on a non-stick baking tray and cook for 8 minute or until the edges are golden brown.
- Try not to eat too many in one sitting, they are very addictive!
Seriously soft and chewy with a burst of zingy orange flavour…delicious! I don’t know about you but I definitely prefer my cookies to be softer in texture like the American style cookie. Since these require very little cooking time they have the perfect balance of that soft and chewy inside that I love so much.
Unlike some chocolate orange offerings that I have had in the past, these cookies have a back note of orange flavour rather than a hard hitting punch in the mouth. I like the fact that real orange juice and zest has been used rather than orange flavourings too. Feel free to play around with different flour alternatives too. I think coconut flour would be a great addition to make these grain free. Also, I realise that margarine isn’t for everyone, but I don’t mind it now and then. Do experiment with butter and coconut oil as they will still taste fabulous.
I think my new nickname should be the cookie monster 🙂
Remember that there is still plenty of time to enter the my #HealthyBakingCompetition to win a fantastic KitchenAid Mixer or some great runner up prizes. So get your bake on over Easter weekend and find out how to enter here.
What is your favourite cookie flavour? Will you be baking anything tasty this Easter?