OK, so I seem to be on a mango and strawberry kick at the moment.
After my Strawberry, Mango & Coconut Chia Sundae recipe last week I just can’t seem to get enough of this delicious combination of fruit. Fruit in salads is quite a revelation for me and something that I discovered through blogging. They lend a sweet but refreshing deliciousness to any salad, plus an abundance of flavour.
I actually made this salad on a whim one lunch time. It was sunny outside and with my strawberry addiction in full swing I decided to throw them on salad with a mix of other ingredients and voilà my Strawberry and Mango Sunshine Salad was born. It’s super easy and quick to make and can be made in a huge batch for extra lunches throughout the week.
- Half a mango diced
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup of bulgar wheat, cous cous or quinoa
- 1/4 cup of fried or grilled plantain
- 1 spring onion chopped
- 1/4 cup of cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups of mixed leaves
- This is a basic assembly job of just throwing everything together and then just devouring until your heart is content.
- Allow the plantain to cool a little before adding to the salad to prevent the salad leaves from wilting due to the heat.
This salad is perfect for the summer and would be also great as a side salad served with meat or perhaps some fish. Due to the addition of the whole grains this is very filling and stands up well as a salad that doesn’t contain any protein, however I think that it would work great with some beans too.
Do you like adding fruit to your salads? What are you favourite summer salad recipes?
Join the mailing list!
Get your FREE Healthy Snacking 101 Ebook and learn how to snack healthy and happy!