OK, so I seem to be on a mango and strawberry kick at the moment.
After my Strawberry, Mango & Coconut Chia Sundae recipe last week I just can’t seem to get enough of this delicious combination of fruit. Fruit in salads is quite a revelation for me and something that I discovered through blogging. They lend a sweet but refreshing deliciousness to any salad, plus an abundance of flavour.
I actually made this salad on a whim one lunch time. It was sunny outside and with my strawberry addiction in full swing I decided to throw them on salad with a mix of other ingredients and voilà my Strawberry and Mango Sunshine Salad was born. It’s super easy and quick to make and can be made in a huge batch for extra lunches throughout the week.
- Half a mango diced
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup of bulgar wheat, cous cous or quinoa
- 1/4 cup of fried or grilled plantain
- 1 spring onion chopped
- 1/4 cup of cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups of mixed leaves
- This is a basic assembly job of just throwing everything together and then just devouring until your heart is content.
- Allow the plantain to cool a little before adding to the salad to prevent the salad leaves from wilting due to the heat.
This salad is perfect for the summer and would be also great as a side salad served with meat or perhaps some fish. Due to the addition of the whole grains this is very filling and stands up well as a salad that doesn’t contain any protein, however I think that it would work great with some beans too.
Do you like adding fruit to your salads? What are you favourite summer salad recipes?