It’s amazing how much you learn when you become a mum. Even in these first short weeks I feel that I have learnt so much about myself and my little man. Whilst trying to operate as a well oiled family unit and get to grips with everything we have established some essentials that we just couldn’t be without now to help us look after Aiden.
There are tonnes of new baby lists out there that pump you with information on essentials that you will need to look after your newborn. We fell into the trap of buying many of these items before our baby was born and 5 weeks later we still haven’t used them – I’m sure they will have a purpose in time. Everyone’s essential list will be different and this is primarily why I like these kind of posts. I’ve put together my list of baby essentials that have really been helpful to us as new parents.
1. Angelcare Nappy Disposable System – Initially I thought that this was a non-essential item when we first bought it, but honestly it has been great for us. It means that we don’t have to keep going outside to the wheelie bin to dispose of soiled nappies nearly 10 times a day or during the night and contains that stinky nappy odour.
2. Skip Hop Alphabet Zoo Activity Gym – AJ loves his tummy time on his play gym and adores the sounds and colours on this particular one, which I’m sure is going to be great for his development.
3. Waterwipes – These are described as the purest water wipes out there. Made with 99% water and 1% fruit extract they are chemical free and can be used on newborns. They have been great for cleaning up Aiden and preventing nappy rash. We picked up a big wholesale box at the Baby Show in May and I’m so happy that similar sizes can be bought on Amazon too.
4. Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Essentials Set – We have recently started to give AJ expressed breast milk and this steam steriliser starter kit has been great as it has everything that you need. It doesn’t contain an electric breast pump though, but we bought the matching Tommee Tippee set and it has been great so far.
5. Summer Infant Slumber Buddies Eddie The Elephant – This has been one of our best purchases to help get Aiden off to sleep. The star projector lights up the ceiling and is very soothing to him as well as the musical lullaby’s that it plays.
6. Aden and Anais Muslin Squares – I love these 100% cotton muslin squares. They’ve been super handy for cleaning up milk spillages and baby spit up. I always have one nearby just in case.
7. Cosatto Hold Isofix Car Seat Base – I’m so thankful to the creator of the isofix base so you don’t have to faff around with the car seat. We feel reassured that our baby is safe whilst travelling in the car.
8. Faye and Lou Swaddle Wraps – These brightly coloured swaddle wraps were sent to me to review. Cocooning my little one in his swaddle reminds him of the womb, which is very comforting to him and helps him sleep.
9. Gro-Egg Room Themometer – We live in a very old cottage with thick walls and the room temperature can fluctuate from room to room. The Gro-Egg helps to monitor the room temperature to make sure its perfect for little AJ.
There are some items that we consider essential, but haven’t actually needed to buy yet such as a baby monitor. Aiden is never left unattended so a monitor hasn’t been necessary so far, but I know that we will need one in a few months time when we try to establish a sleeping routine. Also, I’m hoping to buy a bouncer/swing soon. Recently AJ likes to sleep on our chests or in our arms and I think the swaying motions of the swing will allow him to drift off to sleep more independently.
What was on your baby essential list? Did you buy anything that you just didn’t use?
Do you find lists like his helpful/useful or overwhelming?