So I hear that it’s Shrove Tuesday on the 9th February. Not that I ever need an excuse to eat pancakes (well, actually waffles have been my thing of late!), but I couldn’t let Pancake Day pass me by without blogging a new pancake recipe. My preferred style of pancake for breakfast are the American variety, crepes always feel too much like dessert to me. Warm and fluffy insides and adorned with all of my favourite toppings, yum!
Some of you may think that it’s a faff to make your own pancakes, but they’re so easy! And yes, I could go to the shops and buy those perfectly round and golden brown pancakes in a packet, but I like the fact that my pancakes are rough around the edges – random sizes, not quite round and varying levels of light and darkness. It’s all part of the fun that is Pancake Day!
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1.5 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 mashed banana
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- Mash the banana and add to a bowl with all the dry ingredients, stir together.
- Crack in the eggs and pour in the almond milk. Beat together until smooth.
- In a pan, heat a little oil and pour in ladle sized portions of the batter.
- When bubbles appear on the top on the pancakes it's time to turn them on the other side to cook for a further 2 minutes. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- Top with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
I’m pretty sure that one of these ended up as big as my head! I did get pretty carried away – you can easily get 6-8 pancakes out of these depending on if you like small petite pancakes or massive monsters like me. These are super fluffy on the inside and the buckwheat flour adds a lovely nutty flavour that works well with the cinnamon and banana.
You can easily use this basic recipe to make so many different variations of pancakes – experiment and go wild! Blueberry and vanilla pancakes are on my list to try as well as adding a chocolate twist in some way. There are so many combinations that you could come up with that there seriously needs to be pancake week not a Pancake Day!