A refreshing summer cocktail combining seasonal favourites, British strawberries and elderflower. This drink is the perfect mocktail to serve your guests at all of your summertime BBQ’s.
It’s no word of a lie when I say that mojitos are possible one of my favourite cocktails. In the summer months, I find them so refreshing, with their citrus zing and minty flavours. Thank goodness that they’re some great mocktail versions out there so that I could still enjoy them even when I was pregnant. To me, there is nothing better than a relaxing sunny afternoon in the garden with an ice cold mojito.
This cocktail is a little twist on the classic! Firstly, it contains no alcohol, but don’t worry you won’t miss it and it still has all of those signature notes that make it a mojito. British strawberries are one of my favourite things about summer, so it seemed crazy not to incorporate them into my favourite summer drink. When combined with elderflower, another favourite drink of mine, something magical happens and my taste buds are stupidly happy!
- 1 1/2 cups of whole strawberries
- 1 box Ricola Delicious Elderflower herbal sweets
- 1 cup boiling water
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 1-2 tbsps honey
- Zest and juice of 2 lime
- 1 bottle of sparkling water or lemonade (leave out honey if using lemonade)
- Ice cubes
- Pour the Ricola Delicious Elderflower herbal sweets into a cup and fill to the top with boiling water. Allow to stand and cool down for around 20 minutes.
- In a blender, combine the strawberries, cooled elderflower water, mint, honey, lime juice and zest.
- Fill 4 glasses with ice and add the strawberry mixture. Top the glasses with lemonade or sparkling water.
- Drink and enjoy!
Rather using fresh elderflower, which tends to come into season around the end of May in the UK, I used Ricola Delicious Elderflower herbal sweets instead. The sweets melt in boiling hot water and when allowed to cool and steep for a little while they release that fragrant and refreshing elderflower flavour. You simply blend the elderflower flavoured water with the strawberry mixture and top it up with carbonated water or lemonade for a fruity sparkling summertime drink.
Now all I need is some sunshine, BBQ at the ready and one of these Strawberry and Elderflower Mojitos to get my summer started!
DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE MOCKTAIL RECIPE? WHAT IS YOUR SIGNATURE DRINK THAT YOU LIKE TO SERVE AT YOUR SUMMER PARTIES?
*Recipe commissioned by Ricola, but all opinions are my own.