Baking with my mum is probably one of the highlights of my childhood, memories which I hope to recreate with my own children. It was the quality time together that I loved and it definitely encouraged my addiction to baking and cooking as an adult. I strongly believe that these cooking sessions as fun as they were actually a positive education and armed me with some essential cooking skills for later in life.
We never baked anything fancy, popular favourites were a vanilla sponge topped with icing and sprinkles, fairy cakes with buttercream, gingerbread and rice crispy cakes. This particular recipe that uses Gluten-Free Coco Rice is a nod to my childhood bakes with my mum, but they are slightly more exotic than anything that we made together, which I think shows how my taste buds have developed over the years.
- 200g/5 cups of Nestle Gluten Free Coco Rice
- 4 heaped tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 100g milk or dark chocolate
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare a baking tray or brownie tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a microwaveable bowl add the coconut oil, peanut butter and maple syrup and melt in the microwave for approximately 2 minutes, stopping to stir halfway through to combine.
- In a larger bowl, pour the liquid mixture over the Corn Pops ensuring that they are well covered.
- Transfer the mixture into the baking tray and pat down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave and drizzle over the crunch bars.
- Leave on the side to cool down and set for 30 minutes before transferring to the freezer to harden for 1 hour before cutting them into portions.
- Keep refrigerated or stored in the freezer.
Chocolate when teamed up with peanut butter, is a match made in heaven. Like my childhood bakes, these are incredibly simple to make and they don’t even need any baking time in the oven because the freezer does all the hard work or you.
This is such a great recipe to make with the kids and so easy to whip up one rainy afternoon when they have been stuck inside all day. Equally, if you fancy an afternoon treat they are a perfect match for your cup of tea or coffee, I just love that crunchy texture from the coco rice!
Don’t be fooled by the simplicity of the recipe, these really are delicious and can be stored in an air-tight container in the freezer for the next time your sweet tooth needs taming.