If you’re under the illusion that salads aren’t going to satisfy your hunger then this wild rice salad is exactly what you need. Not only is it hearty and full of lots of nourishing healthy ingredients, it’s going to fill you up and keep those hunger pangs at bay.
The weather seems to be on the change at the moment, it seems that those long summer days are gone. Instead, they have been replaced with dark, wet rainy days and autumn feels that bit closer – even the leaves have started to fall from the trees in my garden! I’m a massive fan of autumn, but I feel a little cheated out of summer this year.
- 540g/ 3 cups wild rice
- 50g / 1/2 cup walnuts
- 75g / 1/2 cup cranberries
- 2 small apples diced
- 2 large handfuls of kale, steamed
- salt and pepper
- Feta cheese to garnish.
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cook the rice as per the packet instructions and allow to cool down so that it's warm once it's cooked.
- In a large bowl, take the rice and mix through all the salad ingredients until evenly distributed.
- Stir together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Season to taste and stir to combine.
- Serve and garnish with feta cheese if preferred.
Funnily enough, this recipe came about because I was trying to use up some open bags of grains that we had in the cupboard before we moved house and it was a wet and cold day. This is such a wholesome and comforting salad that can be served either hot or cold. On a freezing cold day, I think I would prefer this warm and it’s lovely to have a big stash of it in the fridge for the week.
The sweet cranberries, apples and walnuts are such a classic combination that works so well with the earthy dark green kale and nutty wild rice. The salad dressing offers a lovely creaminess and tang that helps to cut through the sweetness and of course the feta cheese just makes all those flavours come to life. I’m just so addicted to feta cheese and throw it on practically anything.
Store this salad in an airtight container in the fridge for healthy budget-friendly lunches for the week ahead. You really can’t go wrong with this one!