Breakfast is the best meal of the day for me. It really kick starts my morning and I feel so much better when I have fuelled my body will something wholesome and nourishing to help me ease into a busy day. As you can imagine, breakfast time with a toddler can be chaotic sometimes, but these cinnamon eggy crumpets topped with an easy berry sauce are quick to make and super delicious.
We just love crumpets in our house and usually have them simply topped with butter and maybe some honey. However, when making crumpets last weekend we fancied something a bit more indulgent like French toast, but alas we were out of bread. Crumpets make a great alternative to bread when making French toast because they are fantastic at soaking up the eggy mixture.
- 4 Newburn Bakehouse by Warburtons crumpets
- 2 eggs
- 250ml almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1-2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 200g frozen mixed berries
- 2 tbsp water
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and soak the crumpets in the eggy mixture. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and cook the crumpets on either side until golden brown.
- While the crumpets are soaking, pour all of the berry sauce ingredients in a bowl and cook in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- The berries should be warm and tender. Add more maple syrup if required for more sweetness.
A leisurely breakfast or brunch at the weekend is a must and these really hit the spot. I used crumpets from Newburn Bakehouse by Warburtons, which are gluten-free, wheat free and milk free; perfect for anyone with any allergies!
Personally, I couldn’t taste any difference between the Newburn Bakehouse gluten-free crumpets and regular crumpets. These are great because it means that any suffering with coeliac disease or with a gluten sensitivity doesn’t have to miss out enjoying a traditional breakfast treat. The crumpets will join Newburn Bakehouse by Warburtons’ extensive ‘Free From’ range including loaves, handcrafted Artisan boules, rolls, wraps and sandwich thins.
You could basically top these eggy crumpets with anything, but our favourite way to serve them is this easy berry sauce that only contains 3 ingredients. It’s full of lots of delicious berries and you can be in control of the sugar content making it healthier than any shop bought versions. The best thing is that this speedy sauce can be made in the microwave, what’s not to love!
What toppings do you like to serve with your crumpets? Do you have a favourite weekend breakfast?
*Recipe commissioned by Newburn Bakehouse by Warburtons, but all opinions are my own.
Join the mailing list!
Get your FREE Healthy Snacking 101 Ebook and learn how to snack healthy and happy!