Baking with my mum is probably one of the highlights of my childhood, memories which I hope to recreate with my own children. It was the quality time together that I loved and it definitely encouraged my addiction to baking and cooking as an adult.
I strongly believe that these cooking sessions as fun as they were actually a positive education and armed me with some essential cooking skills for later in life.
We never baked anything fancy, popular favourites were a vanilla sponge topped with icing and sprinkles, fairy cakes with buttercream, gingerbread and rice crispy cakes. This particular recipe that uses gluten-free corn flakes is a nod to my childhood bakes with my mum, but they are slightly more exotic than anything that we made together, which I think shows how my taste buds have developed over the years.
Salted caramel is a marriage made in chocolate heaven and when teamed up with peanut butter, well…need I say more? Like my childhood bakes, these are incredibly simple to make and they don’t even need any baking time in the oven because the freezer does all the hard work or you.
This is such a great recipe to make with the kids and so easy to whip up one rainy afternoon when they have been stuck inside all day. Equally, if you fancy an afternoon treat they are a perfect match for your cup of tea or coffee, I just love that crunchy texture from the corn flakes! Don’t be fooled by the simplicity of the recipe, these really are delicious and can be stored in an air-tight container in the freezer for the next time your sweet tooth needs taming.
Who taught you how to cook? Do you have any favourite family recipes that you used to cook with your family members as a child?
Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Crunch BarsCourse: Uncategorized
A quick and easy recipe for the perfect gluten-free sweet treat that is also great to make with the kids!
5 cups gluten-free corn flakes
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup melted salted caramel dark chocolate
- Prepare a baking tray or brownie tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a microwaveable bowl add the coconut oil, peanut butter and maple syrup and melt in the microwave for approximately 2 minutes, stopping to stir halfway through to combine.
- In a larger bowl, pour the liquid mixture over the corn flakes ensuring that they are well covered.
- Transfer the cornflakes into the baking tray and pat down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Melt the salted caramel dark chocolate in the microwave and drizzle over the crunch bars.
- Leave on the side to cool down and set for 30 minutes before transferring to the freezer to harden for 1 hour before cutting them into portions.