An easy fuss-free meal, based on the family classic, pasta bake, with a low carb twist! If you love all those delicious Mediterranean flavours then this recipe has got you covered with oozy mozzarella, basil pesto, tomatoes, sweet roasted red peppers, black olives and pancetta.
A pasta bake is probably one of the simplest fuss-free meals out there, with so many possibilities you can never really tire of them. Tuna and sweetcorn pasta bake used to be a childhood favourite of mine, but through the years, I’ve experimented with lots of different tastes and flavours and found a new favourite.
This recipe is loosely based on a classic Italian combination of ingredients of basil, mozzarella and tomatoes, which always hits the spot! I’m not sure what it is about those calprese flavours but they really work and I always look forward to a calprese salad in the summer.
To change things up a bit I added salty black olives and pancetta and sweet Peppadew Roasted Red Peppers. Roasted red peppers are such a great thing to keep stocked in your kitchen cupboards because you can literally put them in anything and they taste great in this baked courgetti dish. This particular variety is a firm favourite in our house!
Normally when I cook with pasta I use spelt pasta or pasta alternatives, but since purchasing my spiraliser I’ve preferred making courgetti as a lighter low carb option. I’m a massive courgetti fan and regularly eat it topped with a homemade ragu using organic minced beef.
This time round, I wanted to try something a little different and baked it in the oven with some of my favourite ingredients instead. After this, I’ll definitely be making baked courgetti again and again and again!
WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE PASTA BAKE RECIPE? HAVE YOU TRIED BAKED COURGETTI BEFORE?
Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Courgetti Bake – Celery and CupcakesCourse: Uncategorized
A delicious low carb twist twist on a family favourite.
½ cup pancetta
½ cup sliced black olives
1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
2 Peppadew Roasted Red Peppers
3 tbsps green pesto
1/3 cup buffalo mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
- Spiralise the courgettes or alternatively create courgette ribbons with a speed peeler and set aside for later.
- In a large pan, fry off the pancetta in its own fat for 3 minutes. Pour in the cherry tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Next slice the Peppadew Roasted Red Peppers and add them to the pan with the olives and courgetti and green pesto.
- Mix and stir well to make sure everything is coated in the green pesto and evenly distributed.
- Transfer everything to a baking dish and sprinkle over the buffalo mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve when cooked.